PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Three Day Week
Thread: Three Day Week
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2017, 09:41
Jimlad1

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sitting in a room with a window in my deployed location :-)

The problem that I have with the Army is that its full of a lot of very self important empires who seem determined to fight the battle of the Regimental Preservation Order, not the battle of keeping the talent and the Regiment going. My experience over many years with the Army is that it is genuinely culturally unable to change and take a long hard look at itself at how to do things better or differently. Instead it just assumes the whole 'oh but we have to be at contingency to defeat the Groombolian military tomorrow' philosophy, while preaching about how the military personnel are great because of their flexible 'can do' attitude.

A truly flexible 'can do' attitude would quickly grasp that a lot of the enabling bits of the Army don't really need to work a rigid 8-4 day 5 days per week in an office. Quite large chunks of the Army are office bound for large chunks of the time, and could easily compress hours, or look at doing things a little bit differently. Would the world really end if Sgt Bloggs didnt work every Friday? Would we be functionally defeated if Maj Jones took a 3 month unpaid leave to look after his kids?

I think we need to be better at defining what is operationally essential (e.g. working in a J3 post in a unit at 24hrs ntm probably isnt conducive to this), and what is routine business where flexibility needs to be the order of the day. Instead we fall back on the old 'but its easier to do things as they were' than to ask what difference it makes. Its not beyond the wit of man to look at posts, identify those that aren't conducive to alternative working arrangements, spot those that are, and flag that up in the job spec so that people are aware of the circumstances when they consider their posting preferences. Yes the needs of the Service have to come first, but we could make it a lot easier to consider the needs of our people with very little tangible difference to outputs.

The military has to recognise that it needs to work really hard to retain talent at the SR/mid seniority officer point, and that for the sake of a shorter working week or a few months unpaid leave, we are potentially losing a lot of people who cost us enormous sums to train and have many years of experience lost forever.