PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captain UA455 removed from flight for "emotional meltdown"
Old 13th Feb 2017, 09:17
Uplinker

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts
Heartfelt sympathy to this person. Divorce is really horrible, and stress is easy to miss, believe it or not.

The really sad thing is that she did not feel that there was anyone she could talk to: Her Union, her manager, her HR department, her occupational health office, her AME, her doctor.

Companies need to understand that the way they are running airlines these days is leading to vastly increased stress on aircrew's lives. Therefore, there needs to be some way that an employee can talk to a suitably trained person if need be - and be listened to confidentially and sympathetically. That person doesn't necessarily need to be the person's manager - they could be the source of the stress - so there needs to be other people in a company that a person could go to and talk to confidentially.

I went to my doctor after having not done very well in a SIM once. I told him I didn't know what was wrong with me and why I was performing so badly. He asked me some questions and then on the spot, he signed me off work for two weeks for stress. I had no idea that I was even stressed.