PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DME v height practice profile from high altitude
Old 12th Feb 2017, 22:31
OhNoCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would nearly argue that the magenta line syndrome is more prominent in the vertical than lateral sense. I have annoyingly often flown with guys (and girls) sitting on both sides of the aeroplane who seem almost entirely unable to decipher when VNAV is telling them or doing something stupid. I have seen high speed level change with speedbrake over 120 miles out because VNAV says we are 9999' high only to spend 5+ minutes with v/s 100' trying to avoid a level segment later on. Likewise I have more than once seen a request for more track miles (or very hurried and uncomfortable descents) despite no adverse winds or shortcuts simply because VNAV says on profile and the flying pilot believes it over 3x tables.

Despite not being in this industry for long, and firmly being in the magenta generation myself, I consider myself lucky to have been forced to do things myself through flying ill-equipped aircraft and having had 'oldschool' instructors once flying better equipped ones. Not to say I always get it right of course!