PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flying in the UAE and keeping UK JAR/EASA ATPL current
Old 12th Feb 2017, 20:37
zxccxz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) confirms that they can keep a type rating alive indefinitely.
The conditions:
1) Send every year the LPC from the (ICAO) state you are currently operating in
2) They will restrict your licence to that specific country only (so you cannot operate in europe until you pass an LPC, without any training just a check)

Look here for the EASA reference (which should apply for all the EASA states..)
https://www.easa.europa.eu/system/fi...versions_1.zip

Article 8
Conditions for the acceptance of licences from third countries

Aeroplane or helicopter type ratings may be issued to holders of Part-FCL licences that comply with the requirements for the issue of those ratings established by a third country. Such ratings will be restricted to aircraft registered in that third country. This restriction may be removed when the pilot complies with the requirements in point C.1 of Annex III.

C. ACCEPTANCE OF CLASS AND TYPE RATINGS

1. A valid class or type rating contained in a licence issued by a third country may be inserted in a Part-FCL licence provided that the applicant:

(a) complies with the experience requirements and the prerequisites for the issue of the applicable type or class rating in accordance with Part-FCL;
(b) passes the relevant skill test for the issue of the applicable type or class rating in accordance with Part-FCL;
(c) is in current flying practice;
(d) has no less than:
(i) for aeroplane class ratings, 100 hours of flight experience as a pilot in that class;
(ii) for aeroplane type ratings, 500 hours of flight experience as a pilot in that type;
(iii) for single-engine helicopters with a maximum certificated take-off mass of up to 3 175 kg, 100 hours of flight experience as a pilot in that type;
(iv) for all other helicopters, 350 hours of flight experience as a pilot in that class.
This are the extracts of 3 emails, directly from the IAA licensing office:
No problem doing an LPC on Chinese aircraft but I will be restricting your type rating to Chinese Registered Aircraft
Only but at least it will keep your rating current until you return to Europe.

Yes no problem renewing your type rating based on an ICAO LPC so please yes forward me a copy of your Chinese
licence and LPC so I can renew the type rating. A lot of pilots are in the same position as yourself and they are very
happy with EASA rules to keep the type rating current. But if you require to use your EASA licence again on the
B737, you will have to complete an LPC in an approved EASA simulator with an EASA examiner to take the restriction
off.

see Annex 3, Section C of EU regulation 1178-2011 (as amended)