PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ring Chatter (or slap)
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2017, 17:09
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
I truly wish I'd never bothered reporting the incident or making a claim and just bought a replacement prop and stuck it on myself right there next to the taxiway the day after the incident, them unbuttoning the engine for inspection has caused endless problems.
I feel your pain however the prop strike inspection is really important. A fellow I know used to run a maintenance shop . One day a guy brought in his C 185 to get the prop balanced because he thought the engine was not quiet as smooth as his last airplane.

The shop had an electronic vibration analyzer which would specify where to put the spinner balance weights. The problem was the machine kept on giving difference answers. When an engine shop was consulted the first question they asked was "did the engine have a prop strike". The owner said no, but further investigation revealed that the serial number of the prop had mysteriously changed. Turned out the previous owner had left the airplane unsecured and a wind gust had tipped it on its nose bending one prop blade. He just slapped a new prop on and said nothing.

The engine was removed for inspection and the engine shop reported that the front bearing web was cracked almost all the way through and the engine was hours away from a catastrophic failure.......