PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel "controlling" the direction
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2017, 23:07
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[wheel landing] It's never been necessary in quite a few thousand tailwheel hours.
Well it sure was for me today! I hopped five rides in the 180HP Super Cub on skis, with 3/4" of icy crust on about a foot of snow. If I'd three pointed it on, I expect that I would have ripped the tail ski right off the 'plane when it caught in the crust! Similarly on takeoff, I had the tail up as soon as I could, or I would not have accelerated.

I guess I got in after the change. When I was trained on the Basler turbine DC-3, by the Basler training pilot, three point landings were forbidden.

I found the Tiger Moth okay to wheel land, though I understand the Canadian Moth's have a different main landing gear position for use on skis. I did not receive any instruction on the Moth, so wheeling it on just seemed natural to me.

When I stopped three pointing my flying boat (as I was trained to do that), I stopped breaking tailwheel assemblies, so now I only wheel land it, no more broken tailwheels!

I wheel land everything, unless specifically instructed otherwise by a type competent pilot.