PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vickers Varsity
Thread: Vickers Varsity
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2017, 19:48
donald d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Canberras departed from Strubby in 66 the Meteors had left in the beginning of 65.

The Varsity's moved from Manby to Strubby early 65, the Canberras moved from the Hangars and Pans near the Tower to the other side where the Meteors had been.

Strubby closed in October 1972 and I with other ground crew attended the ceremony held at the flagpole, in the photograph taken at that time 1SQDN Varsities are to be seen in the background. The Dominies moved to Manby a few days before Strubby closed I also have a pic of one of the Dominies taking off.

I don't doubt that the flypast took place but the timing was not just before the pigs left as the June date leaves at least three months before closer.

The pigs left piecemeal leaving the last four to go after the closing ceremony, I was one of the people who formed one of the start crew.

I will try to look through the local newspaper to clarify dates.

We did a detachment at Binbrook whilst Strubby's runways were resurfaced, that was for six very noisy weeks, when the pigs flew back to camp it was billed as the most piston engine aircraft in formation since the war and was on the front page of the local comic.
So no Canberras at Manby 1970-2, don't know where that came from but I do recall them being there for servicing in 1956 along with the Lincolns, at that time a Meteor bellied in on farmland at Stewton.

Interestingly we had a Meteor still in camouflage from the Korean War, the guns were still fitted, it had been in store in Hong Kong, unfortunately it was quickly painted into the dayglow and silver and guns and ammo boxes removed.

I thoroughly enjoyed working on the Meteors it evoked thoughts of the early jet era.