PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Banner ads on here
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2017, 00:12
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
After years of resistance I went the Ad Blocker route when many of the ads began to run the CPU in my laptop at nearly full whack constantly. This had several deleterious effects from making the computer unresponsive to my inputs to causing the fan to run constantly. I think the final straw involved animations that ran even when the window was hidden.

These events occurred on what you would think were respectable websites with a reputation to protect.

I have no objection to Ads in principal however the teenagers employed by the Ad companies went totally over the top and spoiled the entire pitch.

Good riddance to them.

Then of course there are the security concerns, every site visited poses a risk. If the main site is spraying the page with material from many other sites the risk of running into something unwanted will rise substantially. Some ad sources may have no reputation to protect whatsoever. I went the noscript route for a while and I was astonished at the number of diverse sites that a typical main page referred to. Mostly none of them, or sometimes one or two of them, contributed to the content of interest. The other dozen or two proved to be of no relevance to me. If your main intent is to view pages, as opposed to being really paranoid and not looking at anything, noscript is quite high maintenance and I don't bother with it at the present.

I of course am not recommending messing with your Bank's pages. One tack might be to keep a clean browser that you use only for really critical stuff like banking. Firefox and no doubt others offers the option of multiple configurations or "profiles".

The problem there is that you want to be sure which one you are running. Accidentally running your locked down profile against your bank or the open one against some other site are things that you might want to avoid. It proved to be annoyingly tough to get my text into the Firefox title bar.

Last edited by jimjim1; 18th Feb 2017 at 00:30. Reason: typo