PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which taildragger? Chipmunk of course!
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2003, 21:19
proplover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AerBabe, just read through your postings on Chippy Flying, excellent and very realistic. I was fortunate to know a local chap who after I'd helped him out with his paperwork problems agreed to let me have 10hrs duel with him in his Chippy. I was bowled over as I only had 55 hrs in Tomahawks and TB9\10's! As you, and many others have discovered the Chippy is a fantastic aircraft to fly. Likewise you've also found out that on the ground it can be like a motorised Asda trolly. They say that with taildraggers that pilots have either ground looped or will ground loop!!
I found that on grass they are reasonable to control but you have to be 'super' alert to drifting on tarmac runways when landing with crosswinds. You have to 'fly' the aircraft from the moment you start up to the moment you park up and switch off, if you don't then the Chippy has a way of catching you especially when you think you've just mastered her.
I loved it so much that after my 10 hrs I was offered a share in the aircraft - My first solo was heaven!!! Right up with my PPL solo, QXC and GFT. There are just 3 of us using the aircraft so access is usually very good.
The aircraft is not an ideal tourer but if you dont mind the slightly cramped cockpits, nowhere to put anything, compass between your shins, drafts through the canopy (more noticable in sub zero temps!) and limited range with 9gal tanks you'll be in love with them for ever.
The other posties are correct about costs, parts are getting difficult to obtain, I've recent experiance and engine rebuilds (from a good company) start at £18k usually with bits being extra.
Other bits like brakes, propellors, wheels all need to be allowed for.
Happy flying AerBabe and keep the posts going on your progress