PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maritime Patrol Aircraft - Best/Worst Features
Old 10th Feb 2017, 21:10
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MPAStudent, you ask about opening a door and a cargo net - NO WAY

Yes, it could be done in a C130 but opening the window had to be quick and easy and with minimum noise etc. A door is rather larger and heavier and with greater risk.

Then you ask about AEW console placement.

The consoles in a line layout is effective where you can look to left or right to see an adjacent console. In the Nimrod the Acoustics team operated in a line like that. In the E3 consoles are set out in banks of 3 so again there is an ability to look left or right.

In the P3 and Nimrod there were also individual stations where there was no need for operators to look at other consoles - or rather there was no systems integration where that would have been a benefit. With systems integration, as in the E3, than having the radar sensor operator and ESM operators adjacent could be a benefit for data fusion.

Then the Nimrod had the two navigator positions adjacent but also at one end of the 'room' so that they were at the top with the acoustic and radar sensors on the adjacent 'walls' - in other words a mixed layout.

Additional consoles in the E3 were back to back and also facing each other with a large flat surface between facing consoles. That flat surface was useful for setting out documents etc. If you needed a planning table then that could be sited further back rather than up front.

Such a planning area might double as a dining area if space was at a premium.

Space was at a premium with the depth of equipment eating up cabin width at the expense of people space. If the equipment depth is minimal then there is more space available for operators to move around and have space for your planning area.*

*that planning area suggests more than a simple MPA mission and one more akin to Airborne Mission Command and Control with a multi-role weapons system capability.