PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cutting corners: Cowboy Operators
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2017, 20:43
Tu.114

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Frosch, as hard as this is to swallow when one is in this industry, this is simply not true. There is no relation between the working conditions in a company and its safety profile.

Compare Ryanair, who I think we agree tends to provide unenviable working conditions to its crews, on the one hand and legacy carriers like Turkish, Air France, LH, BA and whatever carrier you like to include here on the other. FR has as far as I know only lost one single aircraft to a multiple birdstrike at CIA a while ago since their beginnings. The safety statistics of TR and AF in the same timeframe are well known. LH has lost the occasional aircraft, most recently a cargo MD-11 in Riyadh, BA has put a 777 on its belly at LHR, and so on.

And yes, I am aware that aircrew had not much influence in many of those accidents; a flock of birds does not care any more for the livery of an aircraft than some ice that may come adrift in the fuel system and clog up vital parts in there. That most of those accidents took no or next to no casualties is a testament to the capabilities of the aircrews, whatever colour their tie might have.

Try not to divert on such a tangent when discussing safety, please.