PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2017, 14:56
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Absolutely spot on Chris.

Despite all the publicity she still has the statement on her website making unfounded allegations about yourself,Sam Rutherford and me.

This statement is made in response to commentary appearing in the media concerning the Light Aircraft Association (“LAA”) and the rescission of the Bill Woodhams Trophy which was made to me in 2014 in respect of the Cape Town to Cairo flight that year for a “feat of navigation, aviation, tenacity and endurance.”
Well she admits she assigned the planning and navigation to others so how could she accept the award unless it was a group effort?
I have stated publicly previously (11 June 2016) that I am deeply disappointed at the comments coming from a particular source making false assertions that my flight expeditions should have been executed as solo flights – and that I have claimed them as such. I have previously stated they were not “solo flights”. They are all about a collaborative team effort and celebrating the brilliant achievements of women like Amy Johnson and Lady Heath who made history when aviation was in its infancy
Given the above I cannot see how she could qualify for the LAA award which was to an individual and not a group.

Indeed her appearance at the LAA AGM was on a personal and not group basis.

She blamed it all on LAA ignorance and Barry Tempest and Chris Martyr.
The AGM of the LAA was held 21 October 2016 at Sywell Aerodrome in Northamptonshire. The first public reference to the agenda which included the motion “for the Review of the Woodhams’ Trophy to Tracey Curtis-Taylor” was on 4 October 2016 and was brought by two members - Barry Tempest and Chris Martyr. Prior to the AGM over 100 proxy votes had been cast in favour of the motion, along with proxy votes on the resolutions at the meeting, following the online media campaign referred to below.

b. At the AGM itself there was a broadly-based lack of knowledge among members present about this motion, the fact that I had made any previous public statements, or the fact that proxy votes had already been cast. It was suggested to the Chairman of the meeting (LAA Chairman, Brian Davies) that in the circumstances the motion should be held over to another meeting to allow a full discussion – but this was refused. At the meeting, members expressed their discomfort and that an injustice was being carried out. Of the members actually present at the meeting (about 70), the overwhelming majority voted against the motion or abstained, but the motion was nevertheless carried by the proxy votes previously cast.
She has never appeared in any pictures with her "team".

Instead she fronted up to the press suggesting she was a solo woman pilot.

However the "team" are often mentioned in her defence.

Mr Rutherford has engaged in an online media campaign to discredit me and the BIAB team members by making false assertions concerning the expeditions and the roles of team members. I have previously stated publicly that I consider this to be part of a course of conduct designed to cause damage and distress.
The reference to an "online media campaign" refers to this thread that has exposed the truth behind The Spirit of Artemis. Without Pprune the facts would never have emerged.

So who were the unsung team members?

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 10th Feb 2017 at 15:58.