PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2017, 13:51
Buster15

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
F35

Some very impressive statements about F35 which I hope prove to be correct. I am not sure about the price. I have never seen it quoted at £98M for the B version and even if it is correct you must know that this figure would not included the engine or lift fan. You mention that typhoon will take over the GR4 role which I understand. However what role will the F35 carry out. Remember it wasn't designed to be a fighter and the US are already operating it with the F22.I do understand that the UK on its own would not have been able to afford an aircraft like F35. My point though is that the only real justification for buying F35 seems to be to operate it from the new carriers and it is quite true to say that we have managed to carry out air ops in against Libya and now iraq/Syria without the massively expensive aircraft carrier. F35 may give us a short term advantage but there are so many limitat ions range, payload, speed and manoeuvrability that to me ought weigh the massive cost of procurement and operation.