PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Difference in Wet and Dry Screen Height
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2017, 12:40
Airmann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airmann,

I'd suggest reviewing overall accident statistics and the number of accidents due to engine failure at Vef on a wet runway at limiting weights. Engine failure is a vanishingly small problem compared to many others in aviation.
Galaxy Flyer, I'm not really arguing that 15' isn't safe. Its more that I'm a little bit concerned with the fact that the two numbers are different. I mean why? Just chose the lower one and stick with it. I mean why should they keep the Dry screen at at 35' when a shower of rain which stops before I take off suddenly changes my screen height. I completely understand why its done, but I mean I find it strange that they haven't also lowered the dry screen height to 15' and just left it at that.

We spend hours and hours in the sim over a career on engine failures on the runway and precious little time is spent working real problems that require decision making and CRM skills.
Don't even get me started on this. I have for a long time wondered why on earth airlines do not spend more time on CRM except for the mandatory once a year. Other professions are spending tons on improving their employees "untechnical" skills. Bringing experts in to teach more nuanced topics like man management, time management etc. (or whatever is related to their field) Yet all we get in aviation is the 6 monthly routine and a CRM course. Aviation and the piloting profession is getting left behind. And flying as an occupation is being turned into a glorified blue collar job.