PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Detailed Discussion Desired: Flying in the Past
Old 10th Feb 2017, 01:07
Exaviator

Location: Kerikeri, New Zealand or Noosa Queensland. Depending on the time of year!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many differences come to mind, depending just how far back I care to think.

In the early sixties you were not considered an experienced pilot until you had a command on an aircraft over 12500 lbs., the DC-3 being the main contender. Turbo props were the next step up and the pure jet for the hallowed few…

As for getting from A to B, these were pre VOR days and the normal was ether straining ones ears to hear the “A” or “N” of the aural leg of the VAR, or bracketing the ADF needle as it swung fifteen degrees either side of course towards the NDB.

Flying over water and out of radio beacon range it was a matter of running an air plot, and if you were lucky, supplemented with an angle from the drift sight.

And at one point in my career, I found myself flying a four engine aircraft, single pilot IFR, and with no auto pilot to assist.

As the years passed technology changed and one adapted with each change, but those basic skills, once learned, were never forgot…