PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Synthetic vision failure
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2017, 19:47
GlobalNav

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
An interesting comment, which I accept at face value. I know that when industry and certification standards for SVS were developed, some argued hard for the benefits of a track centered ("track up") picture, while others argued that heading centered or nose-centered should be required on a PFD.

GF raises attitude awareness as a problem with the track-centered display, though many expected that where the drift angle was relatively small, this would not degrade pitch/roll awareness. On the other hand, track-centered typically put the primary objects of interest in the center of the display, thereby minimizing the effects of the limited field of view.

What was actually more anticipated as an issue was the loss or "drift" awareness, since the pilot found the foresight (AKA waterline) symbol rather inconspicuous.

There was an implicit notion, held by many, that since "situation awareness" is not a required parameter, it is less critical than an element of the Basic-T, and therefore has less hazardous effects when integrity is degraded. In my opinion, the purpose of the Basic-T was to give the trained pilot the necessary elements of the "situation". SVS hands this to the pilot all nicely wrapped up in a bow on a silver platter and in a strikingly compelling fashion. The idea that the pilot would not be misled by an erroneous SVS picture is outrageously optimistic.