PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2017, 12:58
Traffic is...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thinking of applying soon but I have a few questions to anyone who's gone through the process before. Did you get any say or influence over your assigned base during training? And if not, in reality how long into the process would it be before you could transfer and at which stage?
TwnE...
It's a while since I went through but the general theme is that your options and choices will be limited. Firstly, if you're sent down the Area route, then you will only have 2 venues in the UK you can work at.

If it's an airport you're going to, there may be some flexibility if there are a few of you destined for airports at the same time and there is enough slack in the system for people to work out preferences. As an example, it could be that 5 people come off an aerodrome course with 4 destined for EGCC and 1 for EGGW. You might be able to put forward your request but don't expect it to be accommodated. As everyone states, the job is a mobile grade so you can be sent wherever.

With regards to moving unit once valid, the reality again is it isn't entirely straight forward. It worked for me after about 5 years at my first unit, but it depends again on whether where you want to go has vacancies. You can certainly put your name down or apply for transfer, internal vacancies, etc. but once again there are no guarantees. As airport contracts fall away from NATS, then it gets a little tougher to move internally. Of course, other airports will still exist so there's always the chance to move externally if it suits your personal/ family needs.

Regards.