PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Approch Speed: VLS versus 'S' Speed
Old 8th Feb 2017, 12:49
Uplinker

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts
It hasn't been mentioned so far so apologies if I'm telling you how to suck eggs as quoted already its fine to go below manuevring speed provided you stay above Vls, BUT be very cautious about getting too close to Vls if you have any turns to make eg intercepts. Vls will rise considerably in the turn when in this portion of the drag curve.
No it won't. I think you meant Alpha Prot speed and Alpha Max speed

This seems to be a common confusion: There are three low speed warning strips at the bottom of the speed scale, one on top of the other. The top one (usually) is VLS and it only changes with a change of wing shape - i.e. Slats, flaps and speed brakes.

V alpha prot and V alpha max are usually below VLS and they do change with wing loading. Alpha Prot speed can get above VLS sometimes during manoeuvres.

From FCOM DSC-31-40:

1)Minimum Selectable Speed (VLS)
The top of the amber strip [- they mean a hollow rectangle outined in amber] along the speed scale indicates this speed. It represents the lowest selectable speed providing an appropriate margin to the stall speed.

(2)Alpha Protection Speed
The top of a black and amber [- horizontal stripes] strip along the speed scale indicates this speed.
It represents the speed corresponding to the angle of attack at which alpha protection becomes active.

(3)Alpha MAX Speed
The top of a red [-solid red] strip along the speed scale indicates this speed. It represents the speed corresponding to the maximum angle of attack that the aircraft can attain in pitch normal law.