PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long will GA be around for?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2017, 12:40
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why? What is wrong with individual benefits?
'Depends upon the perspective!

For myself, they are excellent! I own four 'planes, which I keep at my runway at home, and I more often fly to a client than drive. I have enjoyed this immense freedom for more than 25 years. However, I am "individual" in the extreme! I imagine that I represent 1 in 100,000 people in Canada who live and fly this way, and we're a comparatively aviation active nation, with many private home runways - while small public airports are closing.

My frequent travel and GA flying in Europe suggest to me that it is a much smaller fraction of the population there who "use" GA aircraft as personal transportation. And the rest of the world - immeasurably small percentage.

There will always be a "ma and pa" hobby GA industry. But, the fossil fueled side of it will not be a growth industry, nor anything like what it was in the '60's and '70's. I remember flying as a young person, to an airport 25 miles from here, for lunch on the weekend. There would literally be fifty some fly in visitors, and nowhere to park on the apron, there were so many. In the last fifteen years, there has never been a problem parking, and many tiedowns are no longer occupied. The restaurant survives as a shadow of it's former self, only because it is also on an active highway.

The single only thing which will keep GA alive in any form, will be passion in new pilots. I mentor a few to try to keep the inertia. But, I can manage that because a well off friend passed away, leaving his three 'planes, at his home runway, which his widow wants flown. So I do a lot of rides, and "inspiring". It's going to be really tough to say to a young person, who is eager, "yeah, I'd love to take you, but we need to find a 'plane, and all that is available are half million dollar electric LSA types. Not that they are a bad idea, it's just a really expensive entry point for bimbling around!