PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2017, 09:32
Arfur Dent

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mr Shot
My "solution" would not stop aircraft from being "crash proof" as you so disdainfully suggest. The RAF, over the years" has suffered many fatal crashes when fully combat ready, current pilots have either made mistakes or some external influence such as the weather (going into cloud at the top of a loop for instance) or aircraft problems have tragically intervened. That did not alter the fact that the system was basically sound and the pilots were combat ready and properly current at both their operational tasks and their display work - for which they had been specially selected.
It occurs to me, as an ex FJ QWI with 2 tours behind me, that the CAA is (was) allowing pilots who are not current to attempt similar displays when some of them should perhaps be either flying something a little less dynamic or even hanging up their kit and joining the audience. My suggestion of a BBMF type Squadron was exactly that - a suggestion. The fact that nobody would fund a few pilots to operate a display Squadron of vintage jets (they may still be in the RAF) does not mean that it's a bad idea - it means that nobody will fund it.
So, my final word is - if you want to fly fast jets carrying out low level displays - do it properly or don't do it at all. Whether the RAF or the CAA is "in charge" is irrelevant.