PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long will GA be around for?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2017, 02:44
Silvaire1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think 21st century handwringing about the end of <insert whatever activity you like, including flying> is a symptom of society wrapping its broader mindset around the narrow concerns of the postwar population boom - the generation that's driven societal attitudes since the 50s, sequentially reflecting every stage of their lives. In the here and now, that generation is getting old, with attitudes that reflect old age, and losing physical capability... and therefore exciting activity and personal freedom is likewise coming to an end. I think it's nonsense.

I honestly think the boomers will have to fade away before reasonable tolerance for personal risk will return, and before a more positive societal mindset will return. But I don't think anybody will take the world with them, nor personal freedom, nor the commercial availability of fossil fuel that nobody reasonable thinks is going to end for quite a long time. Nor will it change that light aircraft have no meaningful impact on the environment, and that some people want to fly, and will.

Last edited by Silvaire1; 8th Feb 2017 at 03:12.