PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2017, 19:49
Pittsextra

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Harry Heathrow:-

As ever hindsight is a wonderful thing
..and as regard to the pilots currency that is precisely what was not required here. Those granting the privileges for this pilot DA's would/could have known absolutely what his currency was. So at some point beyond the accident you can take two paths.

Either suggest that the pilot was perfectly qualified to perform at Shoreham and then you defend the process that put him in that position, OR you capitulate and throw much of the process in the bin. The second option might be valid but it surely comes with intelligent reasoning for the revised thinking and why that thinking hadn't taken place before. (and clearly simply saying "we now have multiple fatalities" doesn't say much for the risk management).

I'm not sure that throwing a few hundred hours extra at things really adds much value given we were talking a quarter clover and a pilot who not only has performed the same display in the same aircraft previously but has some years of success in competition aerobatics which go way way beyond a simple figure being flown at the time.

Unfortunately unless the pilot himself can shed light on the rational on the event then beyond perhaps simply displaying one aircraft per DA, per display season I can't see things being very effective as a solution and I think the hours total alone path seems flawed. Certainly there are other issues around process but how material they have been, well one awaits the final report. Of course should it turn out they have had no influence at all in this accident then the delays around final report publication would point to people's interest in PR.