PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thales/QinetiQ Scorpion for ASDOT
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2017, 10:25
Spinflight.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Anybody read as to who else may be competing given the variety of mission sets?"

Only two other firm bids in the offing that I know of, it isn't exactly a mature market and one of them is effectively vapourware..

The Scorpion was tested, more than once, and laughed out of town. Everyone thinks a cheap jet like the Textron is a great idea, until they fly it. Hence the no orders situation.

Various potential players have been harassing Saab trying to get the older Gripens, though it's a no go as the Swedish government isn't playing ball. For odd reasons.

The Hunters mentioned are attractive from an operator point of view, though fail to simulate anything but a museum's corporate party event. Typhoons are obviously the main focus for DACT and there is a strange thought that an aggressor has to have some part of the envelope to play in. Better than the current Falcons I guess.

Discovery Air Defence, teamed with two companies who should know better, have the most crackpot scheme though. They'll buy surplus Israeli F-16 block 10s, as far as anyone can tell purely for the teen series wow bid factor. The fact that the OEM won't support them, nor the major parts thereof ( engine, radar), which means the CAA won't allow it didn't even dent their stride. There's a reason they are cheap. They'll go on the Canadian military register instead!

Yeah....

Draken's bid has firmed up, definitely not A-4s though, they've got their eyes on Belgium's Alpha Jets.

About 90% of the requirement doesn't need anything fast or pointy, so I wouldn't hold my breath on anything more agile than a target tug.