PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWISS LX40 [ZRH-LAX] diversion to Iqaluit
Old 6th Feb 2017, 21:24
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
The aircraft isn't going to leave Iqualuit with an engine that needs to be "checked over". Once it has been satisfactorily ground run, the aircraft will be released for service.
I asked this question earlier but it seemed to disappear in one of the periodic thread purges.

Wouldn't an ETOPS/EROPS plane need some sort of flight test before taking it over water? Or, could the test be done on the trip to ZRH with the ferry crew and the next leg could be a revenue sector?

Over the years I've occasionally had notes from maintenance like a request to start the APU after it is cold soaked in cruise, verify stable operation and shut it back down to comply with an ETOPS validation. And I did an odd gear down ferry as a flight engineer years ago. It was less than an hour and everything else was normal, or so the mechanics told me.

However, I'm thinking that an engine change at the base is normally followed by a separate full blown test flight before the aircraft is released to revenue operations.

Would Swiss do a functional check flight near Frobay, land and then put on fuel for a ferry out? Or, can they head out over the pond, do the checks and if something doesn't look good, visit Narsarsuaq?