PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jacobsen Flare Technique
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2003, 12:00
MJP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Thanks To All

Dear Traffic, Disco Stu, Woomera et al,

A grateful thanks for your help & humour from this trainee flight-instructor. Let's see If I can find a 1998 copy of Australian Flying SIGH.

I got started down this track doing some research into the question: "What is a GOOD LANDING?". Specifically, is a "greaser" a good landing? Or is a positive/firm touchdown at/close to a nominated point, using the proper profile a good landing?

I did my CPL at RAAF Point Cook, with a decidedly military flavour, so we used the power & point approach (ie power for airspeed control; control column for aimpoint position), and had to land near/at a nominated touchdown point - greaser was a nice-to-have.

I've read the CASA Day VFR Syllabus (Unit 19. 1 - Land Aeroplane (CPL)) to look for guidance and it looks very military in its requirements. Horses for courses and I'm used to what I got in the RAAF, but I'm flexible. I realise that the RAAF techniques are closer to what the airlines require

So guys, any hints from you as to what to teach in the "real world" of GA to my future students. I go back to my original question: "What is a GOOD LANDING?"

Aye,

MJP