PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Peanut Alergies and Flying
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2017, 10:20
Binners93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Sjburton,

How strange to find someone else in an almost identical situation to myself as we speak. I am at a very similar stage of investigation as yourself so hope that my story may be of some help. In either case, if you are happy to I would be very interested in contacting you personally regarding this?

I am a private pilot who was flying on an unrestricted Class 2 medical and have been doing so uneventfully for the past 5 years. It only came to light when applying for an initial Class 1 that having this allergy may be a problem.

My 'diagnosis' was made in Eastbourne District General after I ‘puffed up’ as a very young child when given a peanut butter sandwich. My parents were advised of a moderate allergy to peanuts and subsequently given EpiPens to prevent a possible anaphylaxis situation in later life.
I have been fortunate enough for the past 20 years to have never required the use of these pens, though I feel this may be more due to a possible misdiagnosis/change of circumstances surrounding my severity. I have mistakably eaten Satay Chicken (without knowing what Satay was), Hazelnuts (as part of a noodle snack) and have always been able to comfortably eat walnuts without issue as well as almond products - who knew about Bakewells...

Due to this, 5 years ago I requested a blood test to confirm my allergy which came back positive but was advised the test only confirmed sensitivity, not the resultant reaction. I also have mild Eczema which I have been told can sometimes elevate the blood test result. This blood test unfortunately has provided more confusion than guidance due to a conflict of two separate food mixes used to test for a reaction, both containing peanuts and both providing different results.

I was referred to the CAA medial department by my new AME and as such they recommended contact with their immunologist advisor; Dr H. Kariyawasam (hope it's ok to put names on here?). He is unfortunately on sick leave until mid March, but according to the CAA is aware of the type of reports they will require and how to produce them. I can only hope that whatever tests he does can hopefully confirm a non severe allergy, if one exists at all!

On a biased note, I of course understand the need to ensure the safest of conditions for flight crew and if that means preventing a severe reaction in the flight deck then so be it. It does however seem mad that just because we've been 'diagnosed' from a time when giving out those pens seemed the norm; we are now penalized from gaining our medical certificates! Having flown with several passengers, one of which began quite happily eating a peanut butter sandwich next to me - knowing about this 'allergy'! - I can't help but feel the CAA are a little too quick to panic and assume the worst from those of us who know to avoid certain foods!

I wish you the best of luck with your follow ups. I'll keep you updated with my progress should it be of aid to you?