PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - E190 near collision Mildura May 16 - ASI bulletin 56
Old 5th Feb 2017, 21:54
Lead Balloon

Received 447 Likes on 226 Posts
And if GA8's are hard to see, how much harder would a glider from the strip 2nm to the SSW be?
As I said earlier in this thread:
The irony is that XGA was not the aircraft that came closest to ZPJ on that flight.

The other irony is that if ZPJ had had no TCAS, it would have just been another ordinary day at the CTAF and we wouldn't have to put up with all this posturing on PPRuNe. Just as ZPJ was blissfully ignorant of the aircraft that came closest to it on that day, ZPJ would have turned final blissfully ignorant of XGA behind it and losing ground on the straight in approach.
Yet what is all the sound and fury above about? Radio broadcasts! Even when it's pointed out that all of the recommended radio broadcasts were made in this case but they nonetheless abjectly failed to avoid ZPJ being on base when XGA was on the straight-in. I'm the idiot endangering the lives of others by choosing not to broadcast at a time when ZPJ and XGA (and the twin) had more important things to concentrate on and communicate about.
Ban straight in approaches at certified and registered airports and make all aircraft join the circuit with appropriate call(s).
Unfortunately, change fatigue means that each time there's yet another change of the rules there's usually a doubling in the number of variations in strong opinions about what the rules are and a quadrupling of the number of variations in procedures. (That's why I do actually sympathise, at one level, with people who make up and pontificate about their own 'rules'. It's what happens in the vacuum left by a regulator which couldn't manage a fart on a diet of baked beans.)

And the "high energy jet" drivers prefer to have the option of straight-ins ...
Remind all pilots that the first rule of flying into a non-towered field is "see and avoid".
After all the sound and fury about the limitations of "see and avoid" die down, it's still the rule in VMC for IFR and VFR aircraft. All pilots should always assume there are aircraft around without radio or transponders, aircraft with radios tuned to the wrong frequency and aircraft doing unusual things close to aerodromes.