PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB January 2017
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2017, 20:57
RINKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To talk about pplh instruction,I was taught to fly in the Uk in 1997 by a fairly large company in the midlands beginning with S.
As I said my background is mechanical and I fly rc helicopters extensively.
So I had some rotary understanding. I was mostly taught by a young instructor who was excellent and very knowledgeable. Only changing to MB who sent me solo. The best time of my life, but without question these guys made me Very aware of power limitations etc of a machine I was sitting in rather than controlling remotely and the consequences of screwing it up.
Thanks for your comment Crab, with careful planning and accurate W,& B I've done some epic camping trips in the Scottish hills and Islands in the R44 well loaded but within limits with family and friends. All planned and discussed with the CFI in Scotland where I sfh'd the aircraft. I will say only after a lot of extra flying and mentoring after I gained my Pplh, including mountain flying course.
I feel confident that my instructors kept me right, I have learnt a lot from various instructors old and young civil and mil ( when I did SA 341 rating)
So I think good instruction is there if you strive for the right answers.
Not currently flying for financial reasons, but still learning.

R