PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unpublished let-downs
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2017, 20:37
Good Business Sense

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ShyTorque,

Don't worry you are right. Many people are producing statements taken out of context.

The Safety Sense 25 document was a lot of tosh when it was badly written in 2009 and eight years later it reads even worse. Even in 2009 there were more LPV approaches in the USA than ILSs - many, many of them without an ATC facility.

In 2009 I talked to the chap in the CAA who was in charge of GPS rollout, who I believe wrote the aforementioned document, and I was told that the use of GPS and GPS approaches was still all a bit too dodgy/risky and it was not a mature technology. Thankfully, he had the good grace to wind his neck in when I mentioned that his comments were a concern as my airline, one of the largest in the world, had been doing them in widebodies every day for many years.

The introduction of WASS in the states... many years ago ...... brought the accuracy of GPS down from 10-15 metres to around one metre. The equipment available at reasonable cost, with all the protections, even for the smallest, lightest aircraft, is incredible - knowing your position down to 10 metres or so is unbelievable. Goodness, synthetic vision has now been introduced to GA and TAWS as well as TCAS are also available as add ons.

You can get a GPS approach done for you very cheaply by many companies advertising on the net.... you can get the software and be trained to do it yourself.

China is building over 200 airports before 2020 and none of them will have a VOR, NDB or ILS !

... and here in the UK we are still screaming, "here be dragons"

If you are a reasonably experienced instrument rated pilot you should be able to plan a sensible, safe, non airport located, cloud break with a device that tells you your position to within 10 metres and the basic IFR law allows for this. Many aviation companies/entities need to do this every day whilst carrying out their tasks and they have developed good SOPs to keep it safe and LEGAL.

Last edited by Good Business Sense; 5th Feb 2017 at 21:08.