PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stinger Forensics
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2001, 00:28
Cyclic Hotline

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry

My sincere sympathies to everyone impacted by this terrible accident.

Trader Al,
Why are you so insistent upon asking the same question and ignoring the facts and information from a variety of legitimate sources that post here independently on PPRuNe?

If the NTSB were investigating a missile caused accident, then there are a multitude of experts who would appear to analyse the photographs that have been published quite freely. I don't see the experts and conspiracy theorist's out there shouting this conclusion - with the exception of one person - yourself, (despite your claims).

Accident investigation centre's upon deriving the sequence of events that determine the probable cause. If it were to proceed in the manner that you propose, determining and stating everything that didn't happen, then I do not believe that it would be possible to conclude any investigation, ever. An investigation proceeds in a logical and definitive manner, determining what did happen, and eliminating what did not happen. It is systematic and thorough, subject to intensive review by interested parties (who are party to the investigation at every level), and even if you want - subject to judicial appeal!

Your earlier statements regarding composite materials and failures are a little concerning. Any material has a finite failure point. I would be very careful regarding any statement that includes the word NEVER, as it has been the downfall of so many and so much, in every possible manner!

If you can demonstrate to me a composite bike or boat, that endures the same type of design and manufacturing review and control, cyclic loading and temperature changes that an aircraft endures in it's daily life, then the comparison might bear some consideration!

Materials, applications, designs, flaws, damage, etc, can alter the ability of a product to maintain it's structural integrity. The challenge is to determine and identify the course of failure and provide the mechanism to intercept it in future applications.