PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glacially slow Win7 - where it is now
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2017, 10:23
Guest 112233

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update from the last posting.

Rands6ndrew: this may or may not apply in your case but may help others with the omni present Win 7 update problem.

The Vostro laptop is running Win 7 SP1 - The CPU is a core two duo T5670 1.8 GHZ 4GB of RAM and a SATA 160 HDD. Very modest Kit.

Problem 1 Is Win 7 seeing 2 Processors - run MSCONFIG in CMD and highlight the boot tab. Click advanced options. You should see the No of processors tab. Is it set to 1 or 2 ?
It was one by default - being a dual core I set the value to 2. Click apply and OK to save the setting.

Re boot the PC

Problem 2 Win 7 Updates.

Create a restore point (CATIII forgot this !)

If you have not already done so, download the WindowsUpdateAgent-7.6-x64/x32 utility as appropriate. Run it and then from control panel, run windows update in the normal way.

It takes time - More than an hour. If like me, you have not had updates for a No of months; a large No of (138 ) may be flagged as essential updates. When I let the updates download without intervention, the update failed causing many problems. Leave the optional ones for later.

The secret is to interrupt the update [allowing downloads to complete] after 30 or so installs and to let windows update its system in the usual way. Then re boot - I know this is counter-intuitive, but it works.

[Repeat this sequence until all the updates are in place - Someof the updates are large, a cumulative update for Jan; for example. if you are affected by this one please be patient.]

With luck you get an updated Win 7 PC. (Win 7 is actually quite robust)

CAT III

Last edited by Guest 112233; 5th Feb 2017 at 10:43. Reason: Spelling/Clarity