PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Bets Big on BioFuels
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2017, 03:26
Curtain rod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not surprising, again: One must have a "hole" that "needs" to be filled because one rely upon valid evidence instead of junk science, ancient fairy tales, dreams, voices in my head or what my parents taught me to believe.

It has been well argued for a long time that this "need" to believe in silent, invisible, impotent, mythological characters, that many people "yearn" for, is just a side effect of evolution, just like every new Windows edition has its viruses too. Just because some people yearn for something does not make that thing true, real or right. Evidence makes things true, real and right. You recall may there was a time, just a little while ago in geological terms, that people yearned for Apollo, Thor, Mars, etc., and those yearned-for beliefs and gods came with burning at the stake, animal and human sacrifice, forced conversions, forced circumcisions, lifetime bans on divorce, subjugation of females - oh wait, a few of those still go on today - while "western" Judaism and Christianity came with everything in the Old Testament, too.

Arguing in support of valid scientific education and knowledge is not a religion (look it up yourself, if needed) and while it may be personally fulfilling to "convert" an ignorant or brainwashed individual back to reality (many friends have eventually let go of their Bronze Age nonsense) it certainly isn't "spiritually" fulfilling.

I've come up with a better analogy: Discussing and/or debating with global warming deniers is like talking to Scientologists. Everyone knows they are completely crazy and brainwashed except themselves, and they just keep on believing and defending their ridiculous position because its their position they believe, since they yearned for something and think they've found it. They may feel very fulfilled with their crazy talk and beliefs - but that doesn't make what they found to be true, real or right.

Right, so global warming is a myth.....and oil burning is good for the planet....and CO2 is not a problem....and deforestation is OK.....and melting icecaps and glaciers are a hoax......and all of this is natural with no human cause.....right! Got it, so let's just press on, then!