PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASTOR - Sentinel R mk 1
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2003, 05:52
Magic Mushroom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sentinel crew will consist of the following:

2 x Pilots. These will be RAF (with no AAC planned as far as I'm aware-correct me if I'm wrong) and have limited access to mission information (most likely a JTIDS display).

1 x Mission Controller (MC). This will initially be a commissioned WSO who will optimize the sensor and command the mission crew. Eventually some Ops Spt (Int) or even Army Int Corps Image Analysts (IA) may be allowed to upgrade to MC.

2 x IA. These will be a mix of SNCO WSOp, TG14 and Army Int Corps types responsible for SAR imagery interpretaion and MTI exploitation, particularly during 'off tether' ops.

1 x Airborne Collection Manager (ACM). I believe that there may be scope to put an additional commissioned Int type ACM on board. This seems to be primarily a sop to the Ops Spt (Int) types who want to get IntOs airborne. The ACM job appears to be undefined thus far, particularly has he has no console yet!!!

I understand that the primary personnel involved with the reformation of V (AC) Sqn as a Sentinel Sqn have been identified. Indeed, its first Boss will be an AEO with a Shackleton and E-3D surveillance and TD background. There will be Army on V Sqn with Int Corps on the aircraft and operating the Ground Stn's. However, the latter will come under the command of HQ Land despite being colocated at Waddington (in the words of the famous song, 'there may be trouble ahead' on that one!). Some of the groundcrew will also be REME. Ultimately, the RN will also probably become involved on the air platform. An interesting sqn to manage!!!

The ac is already weight critical, despite the AAR capability having been removed as a cost saving measure (I wonder how long that'll last!!!)!!! Indeed, there is even talk of the galley and crew rest area being removed to save weight!!!

Additionally, as the majority of guys involved in project definition were not ISTAR types, there are some unbelievable ommissions on the spec. This is because some Tornado mate didn't think it was possible to listen to more than a single intercom and radio at a time!

Nevertheless, I think ASTOR will be a capable and versatile machine which will add considerably to the UK's ISTAR capability. As even however, we now just need to get the Army and certain elements of the RAF to look beyond what it was designed to do to see it's true value.

Regards,
M2

Last edited by PPRuNe Pop; 25th Aug 2003 at 06:28.