PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2017, 19:22
Bellerophon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stilton

... so you might use reverse on only one engine? any assymetric issues with that ?...

No issue at all, on the one occasion I can remember that it happened to me.

... why the 4 minute restriction ?...

I believe the correct answer has been given by CliveL, but, when asked during ground school, the BAe instructors’ traditional answer was “Noise Abatement”. (as in a Concorde hitting the ground makes a lot of noise!)

... BA or AF always had one of their captains as an observer in one of the cockpit jumpseats on these flights ?...

Before my time, so I can’t say if BA crew flew on the jump seat, or in what capacity they were acting if they did, but I believe there is at least one contributor to this thread who may yet post an answer.

CliveL

... Can any of our pilot contributors confirm n5296s's remarks re landing in a strong headwind?..

Speaking personally, I never noticed any problem, and as EXWOK has said, I found using VREF +10 made life a lot easier.

However, Mike Riley, a well respected base training instructor on the fleet (and a past British Aerobatics team member) discussed this point in his “The Concorde Stick and Rudder Book”, where he says that there was a greater incidence of hard landings when landing into a strong headwind and goes on to discuss some of the possible reasons why and what to do about it.

His main recommendation was to leave the auto throttle in later than usual, down to 20R instead of 40R, and maintain a constant attitude to touchdown.

... The certificated approach speed is Vref, Vref plus 7 if memory serves, was introduced as an approach noise reduction...

Yes, VREF +7 was used for Reduced Noise Approaches that were flown whenever possible, and which were generally considered easier to land from than VREF approaches.

Last edited by Bellerophon; 6th Feb 2017 at 23:31. Reason: Loss of formatting