PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind turn discussion
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2017, 17:14
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always been quite good at recalling details, I was trained to do that in the military. I am also not guilty of elaborating on facts as I remember them.
This manoeuvre did not involve waiting for the stall, followed by what may be considered normal intentional spin entry procedures.
This was a rapid application of left aileron until beyond 90deg followed by a hard pull as the rotation continued, at the point of about 45deg before returning to level and with the nose starting to rise, but still well below horizonal, control was given back to me.
I continued the rest of the roll and nose levelling and then landed.
Perhaps it was not a true spin in the normal sense of climbing stall, rudder, aileron or whatever, followed by opposite rudder, forward stick recovery. But, the aircraft rotated through 360deg around the long axis, lost about 200ft in the process, enough to avoid the threat. I do recall seeing the condensation around the Tornadoes dead ahead.
We certainly lost the height far quicker than any normal upright manoeuvre of dive, side slip, air brakes or stalling would have produced.
Please don't insult my intelligence by telling me I was not inverted but in a side slip instead. And at half a field short of the touchdown point I was not far away from 400ft. Though I am not in the habit of staring at the instruments at that point in the landing process.
Edit: the Tornadoes were crewed by Americans from somewhere else.