PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind turn discussion
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2017, 15:57
dsc810

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well from my memories of spinning K13 - from annual check flights, were that to get it to spin you needed - for a spin to the right:
Approach the stall speed from straight and level.
Before you reach stall pull the elevator full back (thus gaining altitude) and at the same time apply full left aileron to get the right wing to stall.
While doing this apply full right rudder.
So you entered the manoever holding the stick hard back and to the left with your right leg fully extended to hold the right rudder in.
This would create a sort of flick roll entry which is most cases would then become a spin - though on some occasions if the timing of the control inputs was a little out it would instead enter a spiral dive.

Recovery was the usual opposite rudder while moving the stick forward with ailerons neutral and recover from the ensuing dive.
Notice I said 'while' in the preceding sentence not the usual power aircraft default of opposite rudder wait and then stick forward.
If you held the stick hard back (at my CofG loading anyway) and just applied opposite rudder (left in this case) then the direction of the spin immediately reversed and you would need to apply in this example right rudder again plus stick forward to get it to come out.
I hope this is of some vague interest - if anyone is remotely bothered.........

Last edited by dsc810; 4th Feb 2017 at 16:37.