PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - John Borghetti AO
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2017, 10:06
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Fris B. Fairing
AerialPerspective

A bit harsh and broad brush there AP. Many of these awards go to ordinary salt of the earth citizens, some of whom spend a lifetime in the service of their communities with no other prospect of reward. It's a fairly simple process for any Australian citizen to nominate someone for recognition. Perhaps you should redress the balance by nominating someone who impresses you?
Actually, that's a fair point regarding salt of the Earth people. But I don't agree with the principle. The US has a system of Civil Awards up to and including the Presidential Medal of Freedom and none of them come with post-nominal letters and are not part of an 'Order' which is archaic. Even though it does not include titles of nobility anymore it still rubs the wrong way. I'm all for people being recognised but far too many of these awards go to people who simply do not deserve them, especially this clown who has run this airline into the ground and appears to have achieved very little at his previous employer other that to be in the right place at the right time. Hardly worthy compared to someone who has spent a life feeding the poor or developed a cure for a disease. What is wrong with just having something called the "Federation Medal" or "Australian Commonwealth Award" or similar and just giving the person a medal. Most if not all of the genuine people I have known who have been awarded an AO do not use it after there name because they are just that kind of person but you can bet this guy is going to plaster it on everything.