PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cunderdin ticks all the Perth Alternate boxes...
Old 4th Feb 2017, 08:34
onetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep on dreaming. The "plan" is just like Ascent Aviations website, half-baked and only one-twentieth the way to completion. Who is going to go 150kms East of Perth to deliver freight, and how many people do they think will "catch a train to Perth". The current average pax load for the Prospector train is 32 pax, each trip!
How will this struggling rail network cope with hundreds of pax just off a couple of flights??
The 2-car Prospector train set can only carry 100 pax maximum, luggage is limited to 1 x 20kgs and 1 x 7kgs hand luggage, no bikes, and strict restrictions on any other freight or luggage.
There's not enough Prospector car sets available at present, to meet any major increase in demand without a huge investment in more and larger car sets.
Even the traincar storage at East Perth is incredibly restricted at present, with little room for expansion.

A "high speed" rail link would have to involve a totally new rail line, the current rail line was installed at huge cost in the late 1960's, and involved substantial numbers of deep cuttings through solid granite - and with many curves, a lot of which are incapable of high speed.
There are quite a number of speed-restricted curves on the line from Perth to Northam. It's not until the line straightens out and flattens out beyond Meckering and Cunderdin that speeds of 160kmh can be attained.

Transwa WDA/WDB/WDC class railcars

If YPPH is fogged in, YCUN normally will be, too. In fact, I'll wager a tenner that YCUN gets more fog more often than YPPH.
I'm speaking from extensive experience of having lived and worked in Perth and the Wheatbelt for many decades, and having to put up with many pea-soup fogs on many mornings.
You can get some pretty turbulent weather in the W.A wheatbelt, too - and if it's turbulent in Perth, it will very likely be just as turbulent at YCUN.

The bottom line is, how many major diversions from YPPH have taken place over the last, say 2 decades - and how are the savings going to appear in the above plan.
This plan is classic "float a balloon and see now many go 'ooh-ahhh!'" stuff, just to see if the company can suck in a pile of loose investor monies, so directors can keep themselves in new Beemers and Mercs and plush offices in West Perth, with all the "ancillary benefits" of long boozy lunches in prime restaurants, along with substantial other "company perks".
Believe me, I've been around the mining and corporate scene in WA long enough to spot any amount of dodgy "blue sky" proposals that never flew (excuse the pun!).

Last edited by onetrack; 4th Feb 2017 at 09:03. Reason: addendum