PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 "Too Big" Say Two Airline Execs
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2003, 03:11
747FOCAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gordinho,

Not sure if I get the hidden meaning behind your question? There is plenty of information available regarding the topic of PAX evac on the A380 from the upper deck. It has nothing to do with being good or not at building airplanes. It comes down to physical realities.

When they conduct the final cert test they are not going to have a bunch of soccer and rugby players filling those seats to see if they can get them safely off in 90 seconds, it will be a smattering of young, middle aged and old. Possible even some handicaps. The cabin will be dimly lit, they will step to a door that is some 40 ft in the air and brightly lit causing them to squint and check out just where they are going to fling themselves. Most people that high up are going to hesitate, looking around and at the bottom of the slide. The people just coming off the slide will be moving somewhere in the 26+ MPH range and piling up rapidly at the bottom.

I believe there has already been a test conducted with 200 people in France that sent 50 plus to the hospital.

Why do you think Airbus wanted to do PAX evac by analysis? Even they are a bit afraid they may not make it or maim or kill somebody to certify it.

I think the A380 will make a great Freighter just so you know.