PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWISS LX40 [ZRH-LAX] diversion to Iqaluit
Old 3rd Feb 2017, 11:08
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
Even if a single GE xxx has sufficient power to theoretically get an empty twin engined aircraft airborne, how would you control the extreme yawing moment caused by setting take-off thrust on only one side ???

As EK380 alludes to, you would not have the steering or rudder authority to keep the thing straight, and I don't know if any runway is long enough to accelerate to Vmcg before setting take-off thrust and then on to V1 and still leave enough distance for an RTO.

Anyone who has done a low speed RTO on a twin engined aircraft in the SIM will know how impossible this would be - losing an engine on a twin at even 40kts with flex thrust set, results in a very sudden and significant yaw, and if you don't get both engines back to idle PDQ, and brake, you will be off the side of the runway.

(Three engined ferry flights, (my experience was BAe146), call for the two symmetrical engines to be set at take-off thrust, and the third engine must only be 'throttled up' above a certain airspeed.)

And even assuming you could get airborne, you would be flying a twin on one engine, which is a LAND ASAP (RED) situation = Land NOW at the nearest suitable runway, i.e. the one you just took off from !!!