PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR(R) Required for CB-IR
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2017, 21:33
Whopity

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you have a UK CPL, in which case you *may* have IR(R) privileges - I've been told I do, but have never managed to get a clear answer about what I have to do to be considered current in those privileges (and keep my own IR(R) current, so it's irrelevant to me personally.)
A UK CPL did not have the limitations that were in both the UK PPL and the BCPL prohibiting IFR flight. The privileges of the IMC rating were to counter those limitations. There was never any currency requirement for a CPL holder.
ANO Schedule 8:
United Kingdom Licences
SECTION 1
Aeroplane pilots
Commercial Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes)
Minimum age:
18 years
Privileges:
(1) The holder of a Commercial Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes) is entitled—
(a) to exercise the privileges of a United Kingdom Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes) which includes an instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes) and a night rating (aeroplanes) or night qualification (aeroplane);
In the last ANO amendment there was a subtle change in the privileges of a UK PPL holder from:
(e) unless the licence includes an instrument rating (aeroplane), fly as pilot in command or co-pilot of such an aeroplane flying in Class A, B or C airspace in circumstances which require compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules;
(f) unless the licence includes an instrument rating (aeroplane) or an instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes), fly as pilot in command or co-pilot of such an aeroplane flying in Class D or E airspace in circumstances which require compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules; or
to:
(d) to fly as pilot in command of such an aeroplane under Instrument Flight Rules where the licence includes an instrument rating (aeroplane) or an instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes);
Thus eliminating the privilege to fly IFR in F or G airspace without any additional qualification.