PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian PPL in U.K.?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2017, 18:34
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
adnarm,

With regard to maintaining currency for a Canadian licence, it's pretty simple. The details are here:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...kefive-559.htm

but in summary, the minimum requirements are:

Every five years, pilots must fly as pilot-in-command or co-pilot at least once in a category of aircraft for which they are licensed.
Note there is no requirement for it to be a Canadian aircraft

complete the self-paced study program available each year in the Aviation Safety Letter;
I would also recommend that you maintain your Canadian Medical, but that can be done at minimal extra cost if you find an AME that can do both CAA and TC medicals. Here's the link for finding TC AMEs in the UK:

Civil Aviation Medical Examiners: Search Options

If you are going to be in Vancouver for a while, I strongly urge you to get your Canadian licence. You will be flying in an area of amazing scenery and you can gain experience in many aspects of flying that will not get in the UK: serious mountain flying, marginal weather decision making, busy terminal areas, over-water flying, bush flying, cross-border flying into the US. It will all stand you in good stead when you start flying in the UK, even though you will find procedures and regulations somewhat different.

Don't forget to get a few hours in a floatplane - it may make you want to stay on the West Coast for ever.

PS I gave up trying to find the licence conversion details on the CAA website!

Last edited by India Four Two; 2nd Feb 2017 at 18:51. Reason: Added PS