PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind turn discussion
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2017, 16:53
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had not realized the passions on this topic, or the genuine concerns about the "terrifying lack of safety knowledge" (I'm not sure which side of that line I'm on), I'm advocating safe, conservative maneuvering in slow speed turns, rather than the assumption that there will be no surprise effects resulting from the relative change in the wind, as the airframe and flight controls might see it.

The only time I have damaged an aircraft in motion was during a turn toward downwind, while doing a step turn in my flying boat, on a lake. I do concede that I was in contact with the water at the time, but, at 45MIAS, there is still some flying happening too. I entered the turn with adequate rudder effectiveness to maintain control in the turn, and all aspects of the turn remained constant all the way around (until I lost control), so the only variable was the effect of the wind. Once I came out of wind, I did not have enough rudder effect to control the turn, and the result was a waterloop. I have the wrinkled wingtip float to prove it. Had it been a floatplane, I would have flipped and wrecked it in that event.

From my first post on this topic, I have advocated caution, and consideration of the possible effect of a downwind turn. My knowledge of physics is even less than my knowledge of flying, so I can still learn a few things. Though I don't feel comfortable learning to disregard the possible effects of a downwind turn. All things working out well, the aircraft safely moves with the parcel of air, and there is no IAS change, nor effect on the handling. I do believe that can, and usually does happen. Or, you get a little cocky, and wrinkle a bit of the 'plane, because you just got too close to the edge of effective control...

Whatever the right answer is, 2230 some people read this topic, without commenting. Perhaps they still feel that they do not have a certain answer, but they've renewed their thinking about it, and that's a good thing...