PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2017, 16:43
Danny42C

MPN11,

What a hotbed of hanky-panky with nubile maidens does Strubby seem to have been in 1965 ! My time was ten years before; it was then the Empire Flying College and our Commandant the one-armed "Gus" Walker (of cherished memory). Sounds as if the place had a tradition of disabled Commandants, as I presume your "Cyclops" Brown had lost an eye ?

No maidens (nubile or otherwise) at Strubby in my day, but still remember that little Mess Bar. After a n/f session, we usually had a quiet noggin or two before going off/home to bed. The "old boy" stoods (ran up to 2-Star on the Courses, IIRC,) enjoyed these throw-backs to the days of their youth as much as we did, and "let their hair down". I always remember one (2-Star ?) confidentially remarking about a 1-Star, who had just gone off to Manby to bed: "Old so-and-so is an ex-brat like me - but he doesn't like people knowing about it". Raised a smile !

Manby was a WRAF Station, but the only time we got a sniff there was when SATCO (both places) noticed that you were about to collapse from "battle-fatigue", and rostered you for a week's "rest-cure" to recuperate before putting you back in the front line. I'd kept my end up pretty well at Strubby, but made myself the Buffoon of the Year there over the case of "The Horse That Never Was" (still traceable on Thread, I suppose).

Anyway, I was a happily (newly-married) man then, so such goings-on as you describe had no appeal for me...........

Danny.