PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind turn discussion
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2017, 14:52
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
Turning downwind in a strong wind gives the illusion of skidding during the turn as the groundspeed rapidly increases, and can tempt a pilot to pull back to slow down as the ground, which was creeping past before, is now racing by.
I'm with SSD on this. I have forgotten the tech stuff so ably explained on this thread, but not the lessons from my patient and brilliant CFI on the queen of training aircraft, the Tiger Moth. Before going solo he taught me to spin and recover from every attitude until I could recognise the brief slackening of controls in the instant before the wing dropped. He considered it was even more important to recognise and correct the incipient spin than the spin itself.

One breezy day he showed me low-level tight circuits and even though he had warned me about misleading visual cues I still skidded downwind with the slip needle off the scale as he let me fall into the trap, taking control only at the last moment. It was a lesson that stood me in good stead over many happy flying years and one which I remember to this day, 50+ years later. Is it true that spinning is no longer on the PPL syllabus?