PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2017, 14:28
MPN11

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
Well, as everyone still seems slightly traumatised by The Skipper's absence, I guess I might try to get the ball rolling again. Some of you may recall us discussing good VSOs a while back, and I mentioned [#10071] Air Cdre 'Cyclops' Brown, who was then Commandant of the College of Air Warfare. And so it came to pass ...

... that Plt Off MPN11 and his Strubby Tower colleague Plt Off Dave G***e (are you here, Dave?) were the most junior of junior members of the Mess. And one Saturday evening, in comes the Cmdt, accompanied by his wife, son and daughter. The Cmdt calls Dave and I over, introduces us to his offspring and said something along the lines of, "Look after these two, use my Bar Book" and proceeded to converse with adults and important people. I have no doubt, given his powers of recall, that he knew I was an avid SB Rifle shooter at the time, and his son (16?) had an interest in that direction. His daughter was 17 (IIRC) and embarking on a modelling career. [no snickering in the back row, please, this was 1965/66].

Anyway, we 4 youngsters spent a pleasant evening chatting, and drinking the Air Cdre's pay. Eventually, 2300 loomed and the Commandant came over to our table. "If you're going to keep drinking, you'll have to do that at my place. Follow me." And thus Dave and I followed in the family's wake to The Residence, where we carried on drinking and chatting - and eventually Cmdt and Mrs disappeared. At some small hour, we young ones were surprised by the Cmdt entering the room. "Are you still here? If you need more drinks, you'd better pop back at lunchtime." Dave and I took the hint, and departed ... to return at lunchtime for a sherry or three.

Oh, he was a very nice man, and VERY kind to plt offs!