PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Right PLace at the Right Time
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2017, 09:59
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
I'm going to have to work through this a bit at a time. Thanks OP, an incredible and highly informative site, though I would take issue with:-
Sadly, they were later executed by the desperate and unstable Japanese, as were six other US Navy airmen shot down in the same period.
referring to the defenders of Chichijima. The Imperial Japanese Army behaved much the same wherever it was, be it China, Burma, or half a hundred Pacific Islands. Brutal and sadistic perhaps, but unstable? Sounds like a a bit of a get out of jail clause to me.

There is a petition running in the UK calling for the State Visit of President Trump to be cancelled, lest it embarrass HM the Queen. Given the tyrants that she has had to welcome here on State Visits for dubious political reasons over her long reign, that of a democratically elected US President is far less likely to embarrass her than, for instance, that of the WWII Japanese Emperor Hirohito in 1971:-

The politics behind the pomp of state visits - BBC News
In 1971, Emperor Hirohito of Japan was welcomed by the Queen for a state visit as a deliberate attempt to help usher the country back into the family of nations after its post-war isolation.
Not surprisingly, the invitation of the man who had led Japan during World War Two was hugely controversial, and many former army veterans and prisoners of war turned their backs on the royal procession in silent protest.
Some wore red gloves to symbolise the blood they saw as being on his hands while others whistled ribald old army tunes. A tree the Emperor had planted was uprooted.