PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking friends up for a joy ride
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2017, 23:36
Coochycool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an Air Cadet in the late 80s I used to make a regular nuisance of myself writing away to squadron commanders asking for trips. Every letter started with the line, if you don't ask you don't get. Don't think my CO was very approving but that wasn't going to stop me.

I received the full gamut of responses from "Sure, delighted to have you!" to a couple of pretty vociferous rejections. Most were in the positive however.

The odd one required that I go for a medical at my local station or get my ears syringed, but others not. Of course I had to do bang seat familiarisations and was invited to throw myself out of the odd cockpit trainer.

My very first attempt as a humble 15 year old, I was accepted for a trip with the Jag OCU at Lossie. Sadly upon arrival, I was advised that all their 2 seaters were U/S (did they really only have 2?). That has bugged me ever since but I still lucked out to an extent. The FRADU boys were visiting and I managed to bag a trip in one of their Falcon 20s. Pity all the Hunters seats were spoken for.

I subsequently managed trips in a JP3, Canberra, Victor, Shack, Nimrod (XV230!) and Wessex.

I even blagged a trip in the Sentry during my first employ which was with the MoD. Appropriate checks were apparently made from NATO High Command!

I also did a rapid decompression in the chamber at North Luffenham.

Sadly that fast jet trip eluded me. Still happy days though!

Cooch