PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 6 engines stolen
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2017, 20:38
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
The CAA don't advertise the location of peoples expensive property, only the postal address of the owner. Knowing where I live does not tell you where my aircraft is. The CAA, however, do give information about the owner, the aircraft age, the engine type, weight class and usage which I see as useful info when looking to buy a second hand aircraft..

Guessing that aircraft are at airfields during the night isn't rocket science.

It is unfortunate that the aircraft types that use the R912XXX engines are at the lighter end of the game and thus more likely to operate from out of the way grass airfields. Just the sort of places that are run by clubs rather than flying schools, shown in the Pooleys, AFE and Lockyers guides and marked on the charts. A quick look at the Events Calenders on several flying websites and in the flying mags will also tell you which airfields are likely to be used by these aircraft types. I get the feeling, but no firm data that most of the thefts have been from airfields which I only know because of their flyins.

The cost of these engines and their almost universal application is part of the problem. It doesn't help that shifting these engines is a one man task, even without any lifting gear.

The odds are stacked against light aircraft owners until we start doing more to improve our security. I don't know what the answer is. I tend to think that keeping ones flying site low key is a good thing. We are not allowed to have flying events or training activity at ours but if every one operated like this our flying would be poorer because of it.

Rans6.......