PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind turn discussion
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2017, 13:15
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no acceleration in order to change the ground speed, because the aircraft is operating with respect to the airmass, not the earth below.

My car requires acceleration to change groundspeed, and it operates with respect to an airmass, (it's just not supported by it, or propelled within it - but it still sees it as drag or propulsion).

My airplane requires acceleration down the runway, and is propelled in the the airmass, but still must accelerate relative to the ground to increase both groundspeed and airspeed.

When I open the throttle, my 'plane will accelerate, but not instantly so, the propeller operates inefficiently while it overcomes the inertia of the aircraft to accelerate ithen things get better, as the propeller operates at greater efficiency. My car is a little better, and will press me into the seat, (no tire to ground inefficiency) but that's as it accelerates me inertially - I'm personally, not affected by the airmass.

I continue to cling to the belief that mass and inertia play a role in how the 'plane responds while moving in and with the airmass, at least at slower airspeeds.